Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Singing Out Loud

The problem I'm having right now is that I'm doing some homework in the library. Mathy homework, which is my favorite kind of homework... not just because I'm a geek, but also because it's the only kind I can do effectively while listening to music. So of course I've got my headphones on. And let me tell you, I am having the HARDEST time not bursting out in song. I want to sing along so bad! But the library is so quiet, so I can't. Instead, I'm settling for just bobbing my knee and shaking my head with the beat, with the occasional mouthing of the lyrics. People who pass are looking at me with puzzled looks on their faces. Some are kind of smirking, like they know all too well the urge that I'm struggling to fight at the moment (or they think I'm crazy). But goodness. You gotta sing when your spirit says sing.

Speaking of singing like a lunatic... The other day, as I was walking home from school, I passed three different guys with headphones on who where rocking out... and when I say "rocking out," I REALLLY mean it. They were completely uninhibited, singing and gettin' down something fierce as they walked down the sidewalk. These were entirely unconnected events. It really made me happy. Plus they were listening to good music. One guy was jamming to Incubus' "Stellar," another was totally nailing the chorus to the Darkness' "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" (he seriously was... that one was AWESOME to see), and sadly I can't remember what the last guy was singing, but I do remember that I was impressed. I was a little shocked that I got to be the witness to something as exciting as this not just once, but THREE times in a row... my walk home normally is pretty mundane.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that with you. Back to the grindstone. And back to fighting my urge to rock out.

2 comments:

*star said...

I can empathize, Kel. In the last twenty minutes, I have managed to wake up the girl on my left (she was sleeping with her head tucked in Payroll Tax textbook), and I have earned at least a half-dozen dirty looks from the guy to my right. And I'm not even singing. I'm just laughing. Some people are no fun.

kel said...

Kind of like the time a few weeks ago when, in the middle of the night, I started laughing so hard that I woke both of us up? I don't remember what the dream was about, but really, what a pleasant way to wake up! If you must wake up at all, might as well do it laughing your head off.