Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Cops are sneaky. I don't like it.

Cops are sneaky. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not really a fan. I know, I know, I should be grateful to them because they're an important part of society, yadayda. Deep down I probably am, but right now I'm just not all that excited about them. Sorry if any of you are aspiring police men or women. I'm sure you're really a good person... just like my 5th grade math teacher.

My awareness of the unpleasantness of cops was heightened this weekend. You see, on Friday I threw some clothes into my little duffel and settled myself down in my car for the long drive to my sister's place in LA (sorry, not your LA, Ronnie). It was a great trip--I can never have too much open-roadage. A road trip always sounds like a good idea to me. But cops certainly dampen the experience.

Speed limit schmeed limit. Why are they so obsessed? Here's where I really noticed the sneaky nature of the police. On Monday I was driving back to P-town, after a long weekend of laughing and lots of late-night movie watching, when I saw on the side of the road a poor, innocent speeder caught red-handed. (So maybe he wasn't THAT innocent... but whatever.) I always empathize with poor souls like that because I myself am a speeder. So anyway, this car had been pulled over by an undercover cop, which stinks even more than just being pulled over. But what stinks even MORE than that is the kind of car this particular cop was driving. A brand new Ford Mustang. Silver. Does that seem wrong to anyone else? When a speeder sees a Ford Mustang on the highway, she should be able to accurately assume that she's in the company of another fellow limit-breaker. After all, what else is a Mustang for? Am I wrong? Who sees a shiny new Mustang and thinks "Oh, I better slow down; that might be a cop undercover"? I can understand thinking that with an Impala or a Lumina or some ol' frumpy thing, but not a 2006 sports car. I tell ya, they're out to get us. It really has come to that. Their objective is this: to ease you into feeling comfortable about breaking the law and then -BAM- slap you with a ticket. Sounds like leading a person carefully down to hell if you ask me. Good grief. Cops are sneaky.

11 comments:

Kim said...

¨I´m not going to lie to you!¨ Thats my favorite thing to say ever. So awesome.

be said...

Ha. "Frumpy." That's my favorite thing to say ever.

rph said...

"Fight Club" eh? I guess it always worked for me. Speaking of which, I knew I guy who once quoted Tyler Duerden in a talk...

be said...

Oh, yeah, Elder Tyler Durden. What a great speaker. More people should quote him.

Ronnie said...

I could have gotten you out of that ticket.

kel said...

What do you mean? Are you particularly good at batting your long eyelashes at police officers?

(But actually, it wasn't me that was getting the ticket. Sorry if my story was unclear. I was just passing a person who was pulled over.)

the narrator said...

"I knew I guy who once quoted Tyler Durden in a talk..."

suddenly my church seems so boring.

rph said...

Yeah...that was supposed to read " I know A guy..." my bad.

kel said...

Funny, I read it as "a." Not to worry, we're on the same wavelength.

Ronnie said...

(Sorry if I wasn't very clear. What I meant was that I could have gotten that other person out of the ticket.)

be said...

I don't even know A guy, let alone many guys...