Friday, June 29, 2007

Weird and Too Personal

Is it weird that part of me would rather work as a waitress than at a fancy-pants job in a government office? I don't know if the office is even going to offer me the job -- probably not (this is the required pessimism to buffer me from failure) -- but if they did, I'm not sure if I want to take it. At least, I'm not sure if I'd want to take it quite yet.

Do you think this is just my fear of joining the ranks of the discontent workforce? I don't know.

Maybe.

In all honesty, maybe I'm just wanting to prolong my days before I enter that world. These random jobs, like being a waitress, do sound pretty fun to me, and I think they'd be something I'd never do if I jumped into a fancy-pants job now. You don't quit your job at a swanky office to start working at Olive Garden. I feel like if it's something I'm going to do, it's something to do now.

But why would I do that? Is that wasting time? Shouldn't I be doing something that will put me on a fast-track to success? What is success anyway? Couldn't I have my LIFE actually consist of the things I do outside of work, sustained by simple jobs, rather than adopting the work=life philosophy? But does that mean I'm not contributing to society the way I'd like? Or what's more, couldn't I do some of these crazy, ridiculous jobs now and start working in the legitimate grown-up labor force in a year (or maybe even less) once my life has settled down a bit?

Maybe I've just become demotivated and have masked laziness in a rant about wanting to have a real life.

This post got too personal. I'm publishing it anyway.

11 comments:

the narrator said...

take the waitress job. it's much better suited for a woman.

kel said...

haha. shock me shock me shock me with that deviant behavior, loyd.

Lauren said...

In all honesty, I really miss waitressing. It was the most fun job I ever had. Do the waitressing job now- after a few months you can work dinner service and then you can have both jobs, if you wanted.

bec said...

I think if you work with cool people the office job it could potentially be really fun, with more future and better benefits. I'm always a litle jealous of people whose jobs give them benefits.

Ratater said...

Don't be afraid of the future. If anything go for that big job for me.. make me proud cause you have so much more going for you. Don't be wishing you did it when you had the opportunity.

rph said...

I loved a lot of things about waiting tables, and I hate a lot of things about working in a government office right now. But the truth is that I don't know any waiters who got "benefits". And by benefits I mean health care, not free onion rings.

be said...

Onion rings are how I take care of my health.

Ronnie said...

Waiter-ing was my least favorite job ever.

Don said...

As a nameless, faceless, [fill in noun here]less bureaucrat, I will advocate that choice for me strictly because my personal and professional goals were in line with each other. At the same time, my favorite job ever was staffing at a boy scout camp. And part of that was because of the good onion rings there. So, don't be afraid to go counter to societal expectations to fulfill your own personal happiness.

And in response to your recent comment to me, I'll post again soon. I've been quite busy lately.

vox said...

Ha! too personal - then you met me.
I know this was a year ago, but I thought it only fair to check you out since you were kind enough to comment on my WAY too personal blog (which comes with a disclaimer in the title for anyone who hasn't caught that yet)
also - I'm glad you married Bryant, 'cause you're cool and he's cool and those two things go together really well. cool squared. Yes.

Stormie said...

You and I are a lot alike -- we think a LOT