Monday, June 04, 2007

Insert Giant Frown Here:


My car got broken into last week. It's so shocking when this kind of thing happens. It's weird that I went through the whole morning thinking that life was still normal, while outside my car sat in the sun emptied of all my possessions. (Sorry... excuse the melodrama. I'm obviously still recovering.)

I was just getting into my car to go to swim some laps at the pool. I tossed my swim bag into the back and sat myself down in the driver's seat. I slowly realized something was weird in my car. Why did the door already feel unlocked when I turned my key to open it? Why are my papers all over the floorboard? Isn't that my crap from the glove compartment on the seat? And OH MY GOSH! MY STEREO IS GONE! Then suddenly the realization came... I said the words "someone broke into my car" outloud before I actually understood what they meant. It wasn't until that night, laying in my bed, when the entire feeling finally saturated me: violation, betrayal, vulnerability, anger, fear. It sucked.

I am so unbelievably grateful that whoever did this didn't get away with my car. They gave it a heck of a try:

Thankfully, though, all they did was jack up my ignition pretty bad with a screwdriver. The moron even left the screwdriver in my car. What kind of thief does that? I guess I don't really know why that makes the person a moron, except for the fact that it seems stupid... even though the cop acted like the screwdriver wasn't a very helpful piece of evidence. Anyway, I'm just glad they couldn't figure out how to get the car to start. The unsuccessful hotwiring definitely was the tender little mercy in the middle of all this.

So here's my advice for the week: don't leave your windows cracked, especially if you drive a Honda Civic! The thief probably thought, "What a moron! What kind of car owner leaves her car windows cracked?" Heh. Well, I don't care how hot it is outside or how musty my car is, those windows are forever staying up when I park the car!

13 comments:

Lauren said...

Well that's what you get for moving away to Salt Lake. Really though, that sucks. I'm sorry.

the narrator said...

salt lake city isn't all that safer. i've had my car broken into twice in happy valley. my friend had her car stolen right from our apartment complex in orem.

i'm really sorry kel. when my car got broken into the first time, i felt so violated. to later find out that it might have been my elders quorum president was a bit weird as well. maybe it was your relief society president. you should interrogate her. i heard torture works as a good method to acquiring information and admissions of guilt.

kel said...

I can't believe it was your elders quorum president! That's something you wouldn't expect. I'll definitely consider looking into my RS president. It's always the polite ones you have to look out for. One can never be toooo careful. ;)

And Lauren, guess what kind of rental car my insurance company has me driving until my car is fixed? ...A silver PT Cruiser. Thought you might appreciate that!

Ronnie said...

Are you getting a new radio installed. I think this would be the perfect opportunity to have a toaster installed instead. I mean...imagine rushing to work in the morning, no time to get breakfast before you go so you just grab some bread, hop in the car and pop the bread in your toaster as you drive. Brilliant!

be said...

We used to fantasize about having a microwave oven where the glove box is.

Stefani said...

One time my dad thought that someone broke into his beemer but didn't steal anything but his CDs. Months later I found his CDs in my room here in Provo. I was the mysterious car thief.

Anonymous said...

Hey if your RS Pres is cleared it's not a bad idea to do a criminal background check on your VT co-ordinator. If that remains a hotbed in the "valley" better head back to the flatlands of Illinois.

kel said...

My mom reads my blog! Hi, Mom!

the narrator said...

it's always an uncomfortable but comforting feeling to know your parents are reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Count your blessings, you got off easy. You could just as easy been one of the poor innocent victims at the Mountain Meadows Massacre. You lucked out and they didnt. They got shot in the head at close range by a bunch of crazed blood-thirsty Mormons. The young children got their skulls bashed in with a rifle butt weilded by the "good" Mormons of Utah. I dont ever want to see the Mormon Welcome Wagon heading my way.

kel said...

So, anon, I'm wondering what your motivation is here. It's quite apparent that you're anti-mormon. It seems random, though, that you start spouting on this post. Your comment has virtually nothing to do with any of the discussions on this page. So it would seem that you simply want to spread some of the ugly history about the mormon church around wherever you can. Is that right? I really have always been curious about the motivation of anti-mormons. Please, if you'd like, do fill me in.

Anonymous said...

Actually I love Mormons, but I do indeed hate Mormonism. The historical account of the Mountain Meadows Massacre is well documented. I know most Mormons will tell you it never happened just like Nazis will tell you that they never ever killed a Jew. Come to think of it Mormonism and Nazism have many things in common but I wont bore you with the details because you wouldnt believe me anyway. My real goal is to educated everyone in the world about Joseph Smith. Joseph was one of the most evil men to ever walk the face of the earth. He was a pathological liar, a cheat, a scoundrel, a child molester, an adulterer, a thief, a murderer, a castrater, and all around bad person. Im glad you asked. And if you want to know Brigham Young wasnt much better.
I think my post was right on the money. You lost a radio. So what, someone will buy you a new one. The innocent victims of the Mountain Meadows Massacre lost their lives and to this very day the Mormon Church has not accepted one ounce of responsibilty. That is shameful. But apparently you are OK with it as are all Mormons. Shameful, just shameful.

be said...

Anon,

I created a separate post to give you a place to rant about this without spamming unrelated blog posts: Go here, and you're welcome to comment.