Wednesday, August 16, 2006

...please continue to hold...

I'm on hold. I'm sitting here at my computer, my phone is next to me on speaker, and it's blaring this obnoxious Hold Music. (I really don't like Hold Music.) Every 15 seconds or so, a blandly pleasant man comes on the line and says, "All of our representatives are still busy. Please continue to hold for the next available representative." Well it's been 22 minutes and 13 seconds so far. I've sifted through Provoplat, put in a load of laundry, made my bed, read a bunch of wiki how-to's, and now started writing a post. I'm still on hold. I'm feeling a lot like Pheobe on that episode of Friends where she holds all day long, misses a whole bunch of important things she's supposed to do, and then just ends up getting disconnected.

I'm feeling stranded. Goodness, I've got things to do today! But I've invested so much time into holding that it would be upsetting to just give up now. I really need to talk to one of those representatives! How long do you guys think I should put up with this? There's that stressful tension that prevents me from hanging up... what if I hang up just seconds before some real live person comes on to help me?

Oh man, the message has changed. Now instead of the blandly pleasant man, it's a perky woman who says, "We appreciate your patience, and your call is important to us. One of our representatives will be with you shortly." It's been 31 minutes and 6 seconds. What does "shortly" mean? UGH.

4 comments:

be said...

I've been trying to straighten things out with BYU's financial department today, and besides being given the run-around between them and the collection people, being lied to by the collection people about fees that they charge, and having charges that no one seems to know where came from but that they expect me to pay anyway, I've also been sitting around for the past two hours waiting for some guy named Bill to get off his lunch break.

I only wish I had some hold music and a blandly pleasant voice urging me not to kill anyone.

Stefani said...

Instead of lame elevator music they should just report the news. At least that would be useful, and distract you from the fact that they are driving you to an early death.

Ronnie said...

So I wanted to have you bumped off. Big deal. What's wrong with a little conspiracy for murder among friends.

the narrator said...

i think i called the same guy.